Monday, March 28, 2011

Don't be a hater. Embrace the love.

Day four:  Mushy junk

Enough with the PDA's.

Oh, you're one of THOSE couples.

Get a room already!

These are just a few of the phrases I've been hearing and reading lately as I explore this new world of public adoration and affection on Facebook and in real life.

I've got myself a new man.  Well, he's ten years older than I am--50--so maybe he's not THAT new.  But he's new to ME.  This new-ish man of mine likes to make sure that the world knows exactly how he feels about me.  I'm learning that this makes some people slightly uncomfortable...or jealous.  Probably jealous.

Hey, it's okay.  I am totally with you on this.  I've been both--the uncomfortable one AND the jealous one--at one point or another in my life.  Sometimes I was one or the other.  Sometimes I was both all at once.  Yes, I'm a mess.  No need to restate the obvious.

Even as a child, I can remember that whenever I would see my parents hugging or kissing, I would get really upset and order them to stop immediately.  Come to think of it, they got divorced when I was in my 20's.  I hope that wasn't my fault.  Oopsie.

Back to my point.

I've just never been comfortable with others' outward displays of affection.  I tend to be somewhat private about these things, so I'd be perfectly happy if everyone else would just keep all that mushy junk to themselves as well.

But my new-ish guy is broadening my horizons (AND my thighs with all of his baking and dessert-making).  He thinks I'm freaking awesome (my words, not his) and he is NOT afraid to shout it from the rooftops.  At first I didn't think I was going to like that so much, but I'm finding that it's nice to feel loved and adored and to be able to do a little neener neener dance from behind the keyboard as all of the peeps in my virtual community read post after post about the most amazing girl in the world (that'd be me, according to Mr. New-ish).  I won't lie.  I'm kind of digging it.

Something to keep in mind:  This totally awesome girl came from a life--not so long ago--where her "loving companion" could barely muster up the desire to look her in the face or carry on a three-minute conversation.  After being privately starved for emotion and attention for so many years, this girl is going to sit back and enjoy being publicly adored for as long as she possibly can.  

Sorry she's not sorry.

6 comments:

Winter said...

AMEN, SISTA FRIEND! Your last relationship sounds just like mine did. I don't blame you one bit! :)

Shelly Haggarton said...

I will not tell you to get a room again...maybe. Nice blog entry.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

The "comment deleted" was by me. Whoops! Grammar error!

What I said was: "And I can tell you that when it's the right guy, it continues to be just as good 12 years later. We are still all about the PDA baby! Woohoo Jacey and Mr. New-ish! (Personally, I like the nickname I gave him more - just sayin')"

Colleen Douglas said...

I agree with Jen. I can tell that Mr. New-ish will appreciate you for many years to come. PDA - it's okay! You deserve to be and feel loved! I love your gutz lady! You ARE an awesome person and I DO think that Rick is one lucky devil.

Rick Carpenter said...

I agree... I'm lucky... but a devil???