Friday, April 23, 2010

The Anti-Pollyanna

I'm shifting from Pollyanna mode for a moment to gripe about something.


I don't have much time for TV anymore, but when I get up early to do my workout every morning, I usually flip the TV on just to help the time pass if I'm on my bike.  I keep seeing this pet food commercial that's starting to get on my nerves a little.

I've not been shy in the past when it comes to writing about my lack of affection for furry creatures.  I'm not a hater, I just don't love them, ok?  I would never dream of abusing an animal, BUT:  They do not ride in a car with me.  They do not sleep in my bed or sit at my dinner table.  And  I do NOT don them with sweaters and hair bows.  So now that we're clear on that, the commercial...

It's for a new refrigerated pet food.  HUH?  Really, pet food people?  The lady doing the voice-over says something like, "You wouldn't feed dry, boring food to your family.  Why feed it to your pet?"   Why indeed.  Hmm, let me think on this for a second.

Because my family is...well...HUMAN.  Never once have I seen any of my children lick their bungholes clean.  Nor has any one of them ever asked me if they could have some raw roadkill for a snack.  From what I've seen, we humans just seem to have higher culinary standards than our animal kingdom counterparts.   I refer you to my post about my friend's cat who ate her bird on Christmas morning.  Pretty sure the little guy wasn't refrigerated...or cooked.  No seasonings.  No hollandaise sauce.  Just raw poultry, feathers 'n all.   So contrary to the line of hooey that this ad is trying to sell me, it seems like a nice bowl of dry, room-temperature kibble would be considered a gourmet feast by a creature who might otherwise be happy getting his dinner from the bottom of a trash can laden with egg shells and poopy diapers.

I guess I just never cease to be amazed at how there can be people struggling every day, not knowing where their next meal is coming from, while others are throwing down their disposable income for something that can be "found in your grocer's pet food refrigerator aisle."   I wasn't able to find anything online that reveals the actual cost of these revolutionary new pet products, but I'm guessing they ain't cheap.  

Gripe session complete.  

Pollyanna will be back, as soon as she's finished whipping up some glazed salmon with mint and cucumber slaw.  It's her cat's favorite, after all.


3 comments:

Liz said...

Oh.... LOL!!!!! This is another CLASSIC, CLASSIC, post from you that I am cherishing this morning! hahahaha!!!

Anonymous said...

PETA...I am a proud member...
Oh...it's not the PETA that you know...it's "PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS"...

And the other PETA? They can go to hell...especially the leader who was asked.."If you saw a dog and a baby in the ocean, which would you rescue?"
Answer..."If I knew the baby was retarded, I would save the dog"
CAN YOU SAY IDIOT??? Love ya Jace.

BossyMommy said...

Liz...you've made the blog twice now!

Barry...I mean...Anonymous...when I saw anonymous poster followed by "PETA," I was a little worried. I thought I was about to get blasted by an activist whackadoo! Whew.

Love you, too!