Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pollyanna Day 5


I'm in the midst of frantically trying to get four kids plus me out the door for a mini vacation to someplace warmer.  Along those lines, I'm thankful for a couple of things:

Flip flops.  The longer winter goes on, the more I forget how simple it is to dress kids in the spring/summer months.  Going outside in winter is a major event.  Pants, long sleeve shirt, socks, hat, gloves, jacket, even snow boots at times.  I love it when the temps warm up and it takes 30 seconds to throw on the shorts and FLIP FLOPS! No putting on socks and tying sneakers!  I'm all about simplifying.   Not to mention the perpetual pile of the aforementioned winter gear that is a permanent part of my entry way decor for a good five months or more.  They come in, take it off, and leave it. And I get to the point where I just don't care.  I love it when the pile goes bye-bye.

Diapers.  I'm not in love with the idea that I have a near-four-year-old who knows how to use the toilet but refuses to do it.  It's part of his wonderfully stubborn personality.  He is on a mission to remain the baby and no amount of bribing or threatening has helped us on this issue.  BUT...or in this case, maybe BUTT...as much as I am sick to death of changing and BUYING his diapers, I shudder to think what my life would be like without them.  You know those crazy old ladies whose homes get raided by the health department and animal control because she's got 67 cats in her house, and all the feces and urine that come with them?  That's pretty much the kind of scenario I imagine when I think of the damage my little man could do without the diaper barrier.  So, while I know there will eventually come a glorious day when he gives in to being civilized like the rest of us potty poopers, for now, the diapers are better than the alternative.

No comments: