Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pollyanna Day 2


I'm doing it.  I'm actually doing it.  Two days in a row posting on my blog.  I know there are 28 more to go, but I'm feeling a little proud of myself at the moment.  I'm going to pause briefly to revel.

Done.

In no particular order, the things I'm feeling thankful for today:

Security cameras.  So I left my office for a few minutes today, as I often do throughout the day to make copies or answer mother nature's call, or take a cigarette break (just making sure you're paying attention).  When I came back, after being gone for about 15 minutes, my office door was locked.  I thought to myself, "Strange, I know I didn't lock my door, but hmmm, maybe I did."  My next thought was that my little brother was in there hanging out.  He's a student and he often comes to my office to hang out in between classes.  He's been known to go in and lock the door if I'm not around when he gets there.  He thinks it's funny to lock me out of my own office.  Ha. Ha. Ha.   So after jiggling the handle a few times, my door opens from inside, and I see a man I don't recognize.  Never seen him before in my life, as a matter of fact.  He starts hemming and hawing and apologizing, saying over and over that he was looking for so n so's office.  I point him in the right direction, at which point he proceeds to walk away---in the OTHER direction.  I thought it was all very weird (and the guy was way creepy), but wasn't terribly alarmed.  Nevertheless, I told somebody about it.  That somebody watched the security tapes, and from those tapes, it appeared that the man had cased the office first (checked to see if anyone was in there), gone and put his things down in another room, then come back into my office, locking himself in and me out.   Next thing I knew, the police were there taking a report from me.  Nothing seemed to be missing.  The guy was apparently only in there for less than a minute before I came back.  Nice.  Thank you, security cameras.  We got a perfect shot of his face as he walked down the hall a few minutes later.

My kids' sense of humor.  My kids are awesome.  I'm sure yours are, too, but mine really are.  I know kids say the darndest things, but my kids have a seriously wicked wit about them.  They can hang with all the best movies and keep right up...Young Frankenstein, Nacho Libre (I know, Erin, you hate that movie), Princess Bride, you name it.  I can say something completely tongue in cheek and my kids will read the sarcasm in an instant.  I love that they inherited their humor from me.   Whether you think I'm funny or not (if not, I don't really want to hear about it), it's great to me that my kids think so and they can laugh at...uh...with me without missing a beat.  Who cares if the rest of the world thinks I'm an idiot?

Drive thru convenience stores.  I need a diet pepsi and I need it now.  What's that you say?  I can drive up to a window and ask for 32 ounces of fizzy splendor and they'll hand it to me without my so much ever having to turn off my car and get out?  SHUT! UP!  For you native Utahns who don't get out much, note that this is not the norm out there in...well...the REST OF the world!  I come from a place other than here, and I'm telling you now, they don't have such a marvelous set-up in that place.  You have to park in front of the store, get out of your car, walk inside, and fill your own stinking cup with ice and beverage.  I don't know who initially came up with this concept of convenience stores for the lazier-than-lazy, but that person needs to run for president.  Of the United States.  There, I said it.

And there you have it.  Day two.  This is fun.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Wow - scary about your office. Glad it turned out okay. So funny about your drive up gratefulness. My friend who was visiting from AZ a couple of weeks ago said the same thing!

Hilary said...

Hey, Jacey. Reading your thoughts at the end of a long day means I'm going to bed with smile instead of tears. Love the narrative voice. Keep it up! Thanks!! Hilary

BossyMommy said...

Thanks, Hil. Tears, eh? Is it that bad? I guess I'm glad I could help then!

Kristi Smith said...

A person could do a lot of things in one minute in someone's office. Just sayin'.

Kristi Smith said...

And thanks for defining "casing" . . . I was lost there for a minute.

BossyMommy said...

Kristi--you're welcome. That was just for you. And please don't go "there" with the what-he-did-in-my-office routine. I've heard that a lot in the last couple of days. Eeewww.